Pasta with Butternut Squash Coconut Cream Sauce
Skill Level: Medium
Time: 45 minutes
10 ounces gluten-free penne or spiral pasta
1 pound peeled, cubed, cooked butternut squash
1 cup canned light coconut milk
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ pound bacon
1 small yellow onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
¼ cup chopped fresh sage
¼ cup dried cranberries
¼ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
Freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare pasta according to package directions. Drain pasta, reserving 1/3 cup of the cooking water. Do not rinse pasta.
- To make the sauce, place cooked butternut squash, coconut milk, salt, pepper flakes (if using) and nutmeg in a blender or food processor container and blend until smooth.
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium hear until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, reserving drippings in pan, and place on a paper towel-lines plate or cutting board. Add onion to skillet and cook until softened and browned, about 6 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more.
- Crumble bacon and return to pan along with butternut squash sauce and sage. Heat sauce until it begins to bubble. Stir in pasta and reserved cooking water; stir until all the pasta is coated in sauce.
- Place pasta on serving plates and garnish with dried cranberries, parsley and freshly ground black pepper.