The past couple of nights there has been a chill in the air. I have to admit that fall is my favorite season (although I dread the weather that comes AFTER fall!). The cool weather makes me think of comfort food and when my daughter asked for baked mac n’ cheese tonight, it was easy to say yes.
I generally don’t use “gluten free” recipes. I tend to take “regular” recipes and adapt them by substituting in gluten free ingredients. Trust me when I say – I am not a chef. If a recipe has more than 5 or 6 ingredients (not including spices), I am OUT. I am all about simple and yummy. I also love that by learning how to adapt recipes I can continue to give my daughter the foods she loved prior to her celiac diagnosis.
I thought with the fall approaching, I would share one of my favorite comfort foods. It is quick, easy and tasty. Bonus – the leftovers mean I don’t have to make lunch tomorrow!
Baked Mac N’ Cheese
½ box Gluten Free Elbow pasta
4 Tbsp butter (divided)
2 Tbsp Sweet Ali’s Flour
1 cup milk
2 cups cheese of your choice (cubed or shredded)
1 cup Sweet Ali’s bread crumbs
Seasonings – salt, pepper, garlic, etc.
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Cook the pasta as instructed, drain, return to pot and set aside
- In separate pan, melt 2 Tbsp butter and stir in Sweet Ali’s flour until smooth
- Slowly add milk. Stir continually until it slightly thickens
- Add cheese and stir until completely melted
- Pour cheese sauce over pasta and stir to mix
- Grease an 8×8 pan
- Pour pasta into pan
- Melt remaining butter
- Stir in bread crumbs
- Sprinkle over pasta
- Bake until bread crumbs are golden brown (approximately 20 minutes, but check often so it does not get dried out!)